Associate Director of Programs, Asset Building & Small Business (Full-Time)
About the Position:
Chhaya seeks a dynamic leader to join its management team as the Associate Director of Programs, Asset Building & Small Business. This is a key leadership position responsible for the implementation of Chhaya’s direct service work related to asset building and small business assistance. This new position was created to increase Chhaya’s capacity to deepen impact and widen the reach of its direct service programs and community engagement. The Associate Director will work closely with the Director of Programs and other senior staff to lead the implementation and development of programs and services, ensure internal and external compliance, and achievement and reporting of goals to stakeholders. The Associate Director will supervise Program Managers and frontline staff, coaching them to grow as employees and to reach and exceed organizational goals. As a member of the management team, the Associate Director’s role includes collaborating on setting and implementing organizational strategic goals, fundraising, talent management, program development, and external representation.
Chhaya staff are currently working remotely and will continue to do so until the COVID-19 pandemic abates. At that time, applicants must be able to work from our offices.
The Associate Director of Programs, Asset Building & Small Business reports to the Director of Programs.
Chhaya is the only South Asian and Indo-Caribbean Community Development Corporation (CDC) in the nation. Our mission is to build community power, housing stability, and economic well-being of the South Asian and Indo-Caribbean communities in New York. Since our founding in 2000, Chhaya has helped prevent hundreds of foreclosures; assisted first-time homebuyers in obtaining thousands of dollars in down-payment assistance, led the basement legalization campaign in New York City, provided individuals with key immigration services to better navigate daily life, empowered families with financial management tools and skills, and fostered the civic engagement of thousands of South Asian and Indo-Caribbean New Yorkers. As a leader in New York City’s housing and economic justice sector, Chhaya is poised for significant organizational growth and development. Our main office is in Jackson Heights and we have a second location in Richmond Hill – two neighborhoods with vibrant South Asian and Indo-Caribbean communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee direct services and community engagement work in pursuit of Chhaya’s annual programmatic and strategic goals including one-on-one counseling, group education, free tax preparation, and small businesses organizing and assistance, and related policy campaigns
- Collaborate with other Associate Directors and Senior Management to implement programs and community organizing efforts in pursuit of Chhaya’s strategic goals
- Conduct program evaluation and ensure timely reporting on program impact and outcomes to the Director of Programs, Executive Director, the Board, supporters, and other stakeholders, such as partners and funders
- In collaboration with Associate Director of Programs, Advocacy & Organizing, build and manage collaborations with partner organizations on pressing community concerns and issue-based campaigns
- Supervise and oversee counselors, program managers, volunteer, fellows, and interns as required
- Provide support, management, and oversight to program staff; coach management staff on effective supervision of frontline staff, volunteers, fellows, and interns
- In conjunction with the Director of Programs, develop annual program work plans in furtherance of Chhaya’s annual programmatic goals and objectives
- Support the professional development of program staff by sharing best practices, ensuring access to training opportunities aimed at staff growth in expertise, knowledge, and skills, as well as ensuring access to leadership opportunities
- Monitor program expense budgets to ensure alignment and compliance with adopted operational and individual program budgets
- Work closely with Associate Director of Programs, Advocacy & Organizing to lead advocacy efforts for campaigns related to direct service programs
- Collaborate with the Senior Management team and Board of Directors to build an organizational strategy and plan
- Assist the Senior Management team with fundraising, program research, organizational management, and development efforts
- Work with the management and staff to build an organizational culture that is rooted in accountability, transparency, and collaboration
- Represent the organization externally to elected officials, government officials, supporters, partners, funders, and in various forums, which can include speaking engagements, conferences, and the media as requested by Executive Director
- Build coalitions with other organizations and associations to achieve strategic goals
- Develop program budgets that feed the organizational budget and ensure compliance by staff
- Assist in the internal and external communication plan for the organization ensuring that program successes are highlighted effectively and in a timely manner
- Help strengthen the organization’s standards of excellence and ensure integration in the homeownership team to maximize effectiveness in accomplishing goals and advancing Chhaya’s mission
- Aim to become a skillful relationship manager with the ability to navigate sensitive and politicized spaces, relationships, and decision-making
- Support and lead the creation and implementation of organizational policies, procedures, and systems that support the sustainability and growth of Chhaya’s impact
- Collaborate with the development team to support the creation and submission of grant proposals that align with the organization’s strategic plan
- Support fundraising events, meetings, and activities
- Work with the financial management and development teams to conduct timely and thorough invoicing for program expenditures to ensure strong cash flow to the organization and compliance with funder needs
- Work with the finance team and support funder specific and organizational audits and desk reviews
As a member of the Chhaya staff, additional responsibilities may be added related to special events, critical initiatives, and other special cases that require full staff participation (some evenings and weekends). Further, as an associate director within the organization, the Associate Director of Programs, Asset Building & Small Business is expected to lead by example and help build a culture of ownership, accountability, fairness, inclusiveness, and fun.
- Deep commitment and passion for social justice, and grounded by connection to the needs and issues facing low-income South Asians and Indo-Caribbeans
- Experience in direct service and/or community engagement
- Strong experience in delivering social services, housing counseling, and homeownership programs
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, South Asian and Indo-Caribbean immigrant communities in NYC
- Experience working with NY City Council, government agencies, and government funds strongly desired
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, prioritize, and handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Experience in creating, implementing, and overseeing complex initiatives with multiple partners
- A self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for organizational growth and progress
- Excellent communication, public speaking, meeting facilitation, and writing skills
- Integrity, compassion, and principled leadership
- Thrives on making an impact and is knowledgeable in housing and economic justice issues
- Fluency in South Asian languages or Caribbean English Creole language preferred
- Sense of humor – a plus
$60,000 – $75,000
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, two references, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Director, Asset Building & Small Business – Application”.
Applications will be accepted until July 31, 2021.
Chhaya CDC is an equal opportunity organization that celebrates and embraces diversity. Chhaya does not discriminate on the basis of caste, race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or any other identities covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need.